- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Structural adjustment Programs and their effects on global migration.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Human Geography and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Professor Grace Chang
12 December 2011
Structural adjustment Programs, also known as SAPs, are like financial aid programs that are issued by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) or World Bank (WB) which are intended to put developing countries on the same level of playing field with the global economy so that they could repay their loans. The system is supposed to raise the overall standard of living for the people in these third world countries and help the economy develop. Initially it may appear as if this system promising and may benefit developing countries, evidence shows that SAPs have actually worsen the very problems that it was planned to solve. The SAPs primarily benefits first world countries with cheap labor and opens up the third world countries to exploitation. Likewise, the purpose of welfare reforms is to help the people who are jobless or are not financially stable. Primarily it may seem like welfare reforms assures to decrease poverty but instead it increases poverty levels.
In an article called On the Beach, Enloe writes "[countries] are usually encouraged by international advisors to develop service sectors before manufacturing
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Human & Social Geography (view all)
- Consider the role of child care professionals in promoting t...
- Explain the effects of discriminatory practice, within an ea...
- Outline the background to China's One Child Family policy an...
- Where you can live can affect your health and well being. Us...
- Happy moment in my life
- To what extent is the west to blame for the failure of the g...
- I have chosen to discuss Wokings Italian community, as it di...
- Investigate the Factors that Determine the Well-Being of Afr...
- Kenya's Water Shortage. The objective of this project is to...
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation on internationa...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.