- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The effects of social class on participation in sport
The first 200 words of this essay...
Sport Culture & Society Summative Essay
The Effects of Social Class on Participation in Sport
This essay is going to look at how social class affects sport participation in relation to the stratified nature of our society today. I will try to explain how social inequalities have been challenged and perpetuated, and how this impacts people's participation.
Are people free to participate in whichever sport they choose? On the whole the answer is NO. Social class is often a fundamental determinant of what sports certain people can play/participate in. There are many sociological theories that try to explain the mechanics of society. In terms of social class Marxism is perhaps the best way of explaining the various social mechanisms involved with sports participation. According to Coakley (2007) Marxism (conflict theory) describes society as a system of structures and relationships shaped by economic forces. The theory proposes that sports promote economic exploitation and capitalist expansion, and perpetuate power and privilege of elite groups in society.
Society today is stratified/arranged into layers of social classes. Social class refers to categories of people who share a position in society based on: Income, wealth, education, occupation
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- Outline some of the main differences between quantitative an...
- Personal Statement
- Educational success is closely related to social class origi...
- The Working Group on Inequalities in Health.
- An Explanation of Child development, Based on Genetic and En...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.