- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Ethnic Groups of South Africa and their effects on its society.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Ethnic Groups of South Africa
Sirisha Nandini Jala
January 17th 2011
The ethnicities of South Africa
First, South Africa is a country with a very rich and vivid ethnic history because it boasts the Coloureds and Asians as two of the minorities. There are three types of Coloured people in South Africa: part White and part Black, part Black and part Asian, or part Asian and part White (Kizilos, 16). The members of the Coloured group are people who are born from interracial unions. The Coloured group did not have to carry passes unlike the Black South Africans had to during the Apartheid-era and had more political privileges then the Blacks did (Marger, 379). There are three different groups of Asians in South Africa. The three different Asian ethnicities are the Indians, Chinese, and Malays ( Kizilos, 16). The Malays are interesting because they are called Coloureds but also Asians. One notable Asian South African is the Community of Christ International Peace Award recipient Ela Gandhi, who happens to be the granddaughter of M.K.Gandhi (Walters, 2010).
Additionally, the Whites are the largest of the three
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Applied Sociology (view all)
- HOW MIGHT YOU EXPLAIN THE EXISTENCE OF INEQUALITIES IN HEALT...
- Compare and contrast the approach into studying children's f...
- This essay will explain what social divisions are and why in...
- The humanistic approach
- Discuss the definition of and development of community and a...
- Evaluate the claim that migration is positively valued in th...
- Reasons for Working. How does paid employment affect your i...
- A Summary for Anthony Giddens Essentials of Sociology
- APPLICABILITY OF PROBABILITY SAMPLING TECHNIQUE IN AFRICAN C...
- Utilitarianism. When it comes to welfare and wellbeing util...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo