- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Gibsonian Approach to Direct Perception.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Gibsonian Approach to Direct Perception
There are 2 fundamentally opposing theoretical approaches to understanding perception, incorporating (1) the traditional constructivist paradigm and (2) the ecological paradigm. The constructivist perspective, proposed mainly by Helmholtz, Gregory and Rock, holds that perception is essentially a construction of the mind, and is therefore indirect. That is that in between the optical input and our perception of it, are intervening psychological processes involving mental elaboration. They believe that sensory inputs are not sufficient to mediate perception alone and that something must be added to it before the final perceptual response it achieved.
Ecological theorists, on the other hand, and specifically Gibson (1950, 1966, 1979) developed a theory of direct perception that has completely rejected this scientific dogma by showing that perception was not based on sensory inputs or stimuli at all. Instead he claimed that perception was based on ecological information, which is external to the organism. The following essay will highlight the fundamental key components of this revolutionary theory in order to explain why this theory is so radical.
Instead of concentrating on the information-processing going on within individuals as they see, Gibson examined the information that was
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- Outline some of the main differences between quantitative an...
- Personal Statement
- This assignment will analyse critically key ethical, attitud...
- Critically discuss the links between social theory and socia...
- Neil Smelser's theory of collective behavior is predictive d...
- Analysis on the Short Film "Ronans Escape" Using t...
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.