- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Unemployment Provisions of the 1911 National Insurance Act
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
From Poverty to Social Exclusion: An Introduction to Social Policy
1. Outline and comment on the major Features of one of the following Liberal welfare reforms:
iv. Old Age Pensions
v. The 1906 and 1907 Education Acts
vi. The Unemployment Provisions of the 1911 National Insurance Act
The significance of the National Insurance Act of 1911was enhanced by the inclusion in Part II of a selective unemployment insurance scheme. The National Insurance Act 1911(Part II) aimed to prevent poverty resulting from unemployment by insuring workers against periods when they were out of work. The unemployment insurance scheme has been innovation at the time, and in one of the articles Churchill wrote in 1908 'the untrodden field'.
The National Insurance Act covering health (Part I) and unemployment (Part II) was the kingpin of the social policy of a Liberal Government. (Fraser et al: 2003/ p.188) Churchill and his advisers had been working on unemployment insurance scheme since 1908. Churchill relied on Beveridge and Llewellyn Smith, Permanent Secretary at the Board of Trade, to work out the details of an unemployment insurance scheme.
Beveridge had insisted in 1909 that 'the principles
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- In What Ways Can The British Police Be Said To 'Police By Co...
- Social action can be defined as a certain meaningful action ...
- Weber, capitalism, religion and social control
- Compare and contrast the organic and mechanical theories of ...
- Social Contagious Theory.
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.