- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
This assignment will focus on the characteristics of the social and medical model of mental illness. The assignment will demonstrate professional judgement, accountability of a social worker and statutory requirements of protection and intervention for a
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Using the directed reading and other appropriate literature and research, compare and contrast the medical and social model of mental health and mental disorder. Critically evaluate how the identified reading and other literature can inform a social work practitioner's understanding and practice.
This assignment will focus on the characteristics of the social and medical model of mental illness. This assignment will demonstrate an understanding of how adults and cares experience mental health and social problems. The assignment will demonstrate professional judgement, accountability of a social worker and statutory requirements of protection and intervention for a social worker working with people who are suffering from a mental illness.
According to Golightley (2004) there are several theories about mental disorder but the two main theories are the medical and non-medical models.
The medical model or disease model has been the dominant model of mental disorder from around 150 years ago when the state employed the medical profession to manage and treat mental disorder (Golightley 2004). The medical model views mental disorder as a physical illness, which can be medically treated in a medical institution (Beech 1991). Beresford (2002) pointed out that 'this approach is based on a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Work (view all)
- Unit K/601/7629 Professional Organisational Issues In counse...
- Children Young People and Families
- Issues relating to adults with a physical disability. This a...
- TASK-CENTERED APPROACH. This essay takes a social work case ...
- Social work - Integrative Practice Study
- Inter-professional Practice and Safeguarding Children
- Professional Childcare: Restorative and Reparative Parenting
- In this essay I will explore the ways in which individuals i...
- Research Plan. Can future planning be improved for older car...
- Social Work Values. Values and ethics have been of fundamen...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.