- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
This essay will examine the evolution of the ASEAN organization and whether it has effectively managed regional security and economic relations.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Association of Southeast Asian Nations is a premier organization in the Southeast Asian region including 8.8% of the world's population. ASEAN has been somewhat of an important actor in the region in terms of increasing economic relations and creating stability in the region. However due to its traditional lack of legal authority and institutionalization the impact of the organization has been quite varied. This essay will examine the evolution of the ASEAN organization and whether it has effectively managed regional security and economic relations.
Evolution of ASEAN
ASEAN was established on the 8th of August 1967 in Bangkok by five member countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The main objectives of the association is to enhance regional security, create opportunities for economic growth, promote regional cooperation and sense of community. The motivation for the creation of ASEAN arouse out of the member nation's desire for nation building, combat communism and reduce the influence of foreign powers such as the United States and Britain. February 1976 of the first ASEAN Summit in Bali, Indonesia. The annual summit was designed to promote regional economic development and cultural succession. The evolution of ASEAN continued with the entrance of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International Relations (view all)
- What is Globalisation?
- What is meant by Globalisation
- What are the core assumptions of realism and why has it been...
- Does Globalisation contribute to the growth of terrorism?
- The United Nations- success or failure? Examining the eviden...
- What is globalisation? Is it a new phenomenon? If not, how...
- How useful is the concept of the balance of power for unders...
- What, if any, have been the principal achievements of Postst...
- Analysis of the Motives of the EU and US for the Promotion o...
- International Relations (henceforth referred to as IR) has m...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.