- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Unravel the underlying principles in moka-exchange, and in the bridewealth-exchange amongst the Nuer of Southern Sudan, in the light of the French sociologist Marcel Mauss' theory of the 'Form and reason for exchange in archaic societies.'
- Essay length: 3356 words
- Submitted: 12/10/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
Name: Ann-Mari Pynnonen, Level 1 anthropology essay: grade A-.
One is confronted with an astonishing view, when watching a film about the Kawelka tribe of the Mt. Hagen area, in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea. The scene seems chaotic: A lot of people are running around and shouting. In the middle of the crowd are many pigs in a line, tied on sticks, and more pigs are brought in. People are dressed up in paradise feathers, they are wearing headdresses and a lot of jewellery. Their faces are completely painted. These colourful decorations make the people look almost unrecognisable or inhuman. The noise becomes extremely loud as the drumming and chanting of the dancing crowd gets mixed up with the high screams of the frightened pigs, and the shouting of the people. At first glance this hectic social event seems difficult to interpret: 'What is going on?' But all the glory of the moment begins to make sense, when one knows that small moka-exchange ceremony is taking place, in which pigs are brought together, in order to reciprocate eventually the big moka to another tribe, which consists of hundreds of pigs (Strathern & Nairn, 1974:The Kawelka: Ongka's
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Theory (view all)
- What are the main features of Marshall's theory of citizensh...
- Outline some of the main differences between quantitative an...
- Erving Goffman: Dramaturgy, Symbolic Interactionism, and pre...
- The Working Group on Inequalities in Health.
- Group Dynamics
- Theories on the Family
- In this essay, I will examine the subject of celebrity cultu...
- The Development of Sociology in the Age of Enlightenment.
- Compare and contrast two models of policy making you have st...
- The Ideology of Racism: My understanding
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.