- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What do you understand by the terms prejudice and discrimination and stereotyping? Discuss how these might impact on the work of a police officer.
The first 200 words of this essay...
What do you understand by the terms prejudice and discrimination and
stereotyping? Discuss how these might impact on the work of a police
Prejudice, discrimination and stereotyping are powerful terms, more often
viewed in a bad light. This essay will show an understanding of each of these
terms, explaining what they mean and how they overlap with each other. The
impact they have on the work of a police officer, whether that is positive or
negative, will also be reviewed here including internal and external
In its very simplest terms, a prejudice is a prejudgement. Most lexicon
definitions are similarly uncomplicated, for example, the Oxford English
Dictionary (OED) describes prejudice as a preconceived opinion, bias or
learning, usually with unfavourable connotations. Such straightforward
phrases would suggest that a single agreed definition exists, but this is not the
case. In The Nature of Prejudice, Allport (1954, p.9) provides the following
An antipathy based upon a faulty and inflexible generalisation. It
may be felt or expressed. It may be directed towards a group as a
whole or towards an individual because
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Criminology (view all)
- Modified (side-constrained) theories of consequentialism hav...
- Organisational structure of a Police Force.
- Research proposal
- CRITICALLY EVALUATE COMPETING EXPLANATIONS OF SHOA
- Outline some of the most important critiques of 'Malestream'...
- Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of the multi ...
- Critically examine the suggestion that punishment today is a...
- Imprisonment should only be used as a last resort due to its...
- HOW DOES THE CONCEPT OF SOCIAL HARM AND UNDERSTANDING RELATI...
- Why has the United Kingdom adopted CCTV technology with such...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.