- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why did the wealthy and educated classes of the United Statesdespise and fear Andrew Jackson and the ideas of 'Jacksonian Democracy'?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why did the wealthy and educated classes of the United States despise and fear Andrew Jackson and the ideas of 'Jacksonian Democracy'?
Andrew Jackson was the seventh president of the United States. He was regarded by many as the symbol and spokesman of the common man. One idea of Jacksonian Democracy was increased popular participation in government. Another thing the movement did was to attack those with privilege or monopolies; it wanted to offer new opportunities to the middle class or the 'common man'. Because of this, Jackson had support from most, but he did not have support from the established elite of the time.
There are many reasons as to why the wealthy and educated classes despised and feared Jackson and his ideas.
The first one is due to the introduction of education for the children of the poor. It was hoped that the eventual results of this new education system would be eventual better living conditions and material equality. It was also hoped it would
"remove the veil of ignorance by which the poor who suffer are prevented from penetrating into the mysteries of that legislation of the rich by which their sufferings
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Systems (view all)
- Ministerial Responsibility
- Has Neofunctionalism Been Superseded By A New 'Liberal Inter...
- Compare critically the ideas of representation proposed by E...
- Economic Development is a necessary and sufficient condition...
- The Influence of the Greeks on American Democracy.
- The Relationship Between Congressional Elections and Represe...
- Is the US Supreme Court the most powerful branch in the Gove...
- Has the effort of the Chinese central party-state to reasser...
- Is liberal democracy the best system?
- Influence of Super PACs on Romney Campaign
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.