- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Write an essay that explores what it is that is distinctively 'modern' about John Stuart Mills, 'On Liberty.'
The first 200 words of this essay...
Write and essay that explores what it is that is distinctively 'modern' about John Stuart Mills, 'On Liberty.'
There are a variety of problems that arise from the concept Modernity and the text of On Liberty. Although some of the concepts proposed by Mill may appear to be modern on the surface there are also liberal undercurrents that may run counter to the modernity argument. John Stuart Mill is very keen to promote the liberal ambivalence to the concept of modernity. This causes problems when attempting to assess what it is that is distinctively modern about, 'On Liberty,' and how this clashes with liberal concepts. Mill challenges some of the major issues of modernity such as the growth of mass society and the scope for tyranny of the majority, the problem of authority and who rules and also the problems of plurality and diversity. In assessing what is modern about, 'On Liberty,' key issues have to be addressed such as views on government, society, the economy and individual autonomy. The essence of liberal thought is the notion of individual liberty, which is linked to the lack of authority of government in society. Various issues
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Political Systems (view all)
- Has Neofunctionalism Been Superseded By A New 'Liberal Inter...
- Compare critically the ideas of representation proposed by E...
- How culture and values, in particular religion, have shaped ...
- What Democracy Means To Me
- Is Pluralism Faithful to the Idea of Democracy?
- The Relationship Between Congressional Elections and Represe...
- Is the US Supreme Court the most powerful branch in the Gove...
- Has the effort of the Chinese central party-state to reasser...
- Is liberal democracy the best system?
- Influence of Super PACs on Romney Campaign
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.