- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A case study of a 68 year old patient admitted to undego a bowel resection resulting in the formation of a colostomy
- Essay length: 3182 words
- Submitted: 01/12/2008
The first 200 words of this essay...
BSc/BSc Honours in Nursing
Tayside Institute for Health Studies
Module HE0808A - Adult Nursing
Case Study - "Mr. Jones is a 68 year old gentleman who has been diagnosed as suffering from colorectal cancer. He has been admitted to your surgical ward to undergo a bowel resection, which will also result in the formation of a colostomy"
Matriculation Number: - 0605304
Colorectal cancer is the second most common cause of cancer-related deaths in the UK (Brooker, 2005); and this paper aims to discuss the treatment and care of a 68 year old gentleman who has been admitted for colostomy forming surgery. Consideration will be given to both the pre-operative and post-operative care that Mr Jones will receive; and we will discuss the factors surrounding his physical and emotional well being.
Aetiology & Pathophysiology
The lumen of the colon is lined with many cells which are subject to constant turnover. Adenocarcinomas form when too many dysfunctional cells lining the colon create a tumour (Whittaker, 2005). The exact cause of colorectal cancer is unclear (Alexander et al, 2006); however diet is thought to be the most important factor
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Nursing (view all)
- Law and Ethics in Nursing. The aim of this assignment is to...
- In this essay I am going to write on issues of confidentiali...
- Diabetic Nursing
- The aim of this essay is to critically evaluate the bio-psyc...
- Student Nurse Placement Reflection and Personal Development ...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.