- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
- Essay length: 3752 words
- Submitted: 26/07/2007
The first 200 words of this essay...
The health need identified within my placement area is the poor uptake of the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine. Despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine, Measles, Mumps and Rubella remain a threat of death and serious neurological complications among young children (WHO 2005a). The MMR vaccine is safe, effective and inexpensive, making vaccination against these three potentially devastating infections one of the most cost effective public health interventions available (WHO 2005b).
According to Twelvetrees (2002) a health profile is a tool which can be compiled and utilised by community workers. By gathering information about the needs of a locality this information can then be used to provide the basis for an analysis of possible courses of action.
During recent years there has been huge adverse media coverage concerning the safety of the triple vaccine, with claims that it may cause Crohn's Disease and Autism. Adverse publicity can have detrimental effects resulting in the loss of public confidence and therefore a reduction in the coverage rates of such vaccinations. In 2003-04, immunisation records for the cohort of children reaching their second birthday showed that 80% had been immunised against MMR with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- This essay will focus on inter-professional working in healt...
- How is illness socially constructed?
- The Effectiveness of Brief Interventions in Reducing Binge
- Discuss the potential benefits and difficulties associated w...
- The only problem with the law relating to vulnerable adults ...
- How can an effective therapeutic relationship contribute to ...
- Using Trevors and Dahlias accounts from Activity 2.3 in Lear...
- Living with LongTerm Conditions - case study of a patient wi...
- How could use of the concept of Critical Practice help to av...
- This assignment is going to look at the following policy Str...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.