- 1 metre rule
- Retort stand
- Medium sized elastic band
- Set up the apparatus like in the diagram
- Measure the original length on the elastic band before putting any weights on
- Put 50g of weight on the hook of the elastic band
- Next measure the new length of the elastic band
- Work out the extension (New length – Original length = extension)
- Record the result
- Repeat the six steps above putting 50g of weight as you go along every time
- Record all your results onto a result table.
I have now completed my investigation and obtained a good set of results. After analyzing my results I proved my prediction to be correct. The extension was directly proportional to the stretching force as Hooke’s law stated. My results were almost perfect and a pattern was visible after you look at the result table. So if a stretchy material has a steady force acting upon it the extension will increase with the force. This is best shown by a line graph like the one I have produced. It should be a straight line. Although mine is not exactly straight it is almost.
I am happy with my performance in this experiment. I felt I carried out the investigation to a high standard and I made sure that it was a fair test. This enabled me to obtain an almost perfect set of results. I recorded three sets of results to make it perfect and then I found the average. A line graph was plotted for all of the results obtained. I did have mistakes in my results which may been due to me not measuring the length of the elastic band correctly. If I were to carry this experiment again I may do a few things differently. I would have put a pointer on the hook to get the measurements even more accurate than I did. I would also hold the metre rule with the clamp rather than with my hand so it will be steadier and give more accurate results again. Also I could have used a 12ft ruler rather than a metre rule, so that I would have had the results to the nearest decimal. Overall I felt I did a good job in this investigation and I proved my prediction right and got next to perfect results.