First, the appraiser writes an appraisal report on the employee in question.
This can be done in a number of ways:
· A blank sheet of paper can be used which gives the appraiser the freedom to write whatever they like.
· A form can be used which has spaces to fill in notes on particular issues- this ensures that all issues are covered.
· A rating form- for each heading, the appraiser gives the appraisee a mark out of ten or a grade.
Probably the best choice would be a mixture of all three. The essential features of an appraisal report would be:
All these will examine the weaknesses and strengths of the employee and the manager can draw a picture of the employee.
Secondly, the appraisal report is discussed with the appraisee during an interview. There are three ways to do this:
· Open appraisal- The appraisee is able to discuss the appraisal with the appraiser during the interview.
· Self evaluation- The manager may ask the employee to carry out an appraisal themselves. They will be given an identical form that of the appraiser and asked to grade themselves. The two forms are then compared and where there are clear differences, there is need for discussion.
· 360 degree appraisal- This is the most modern of the three approaches, it is sometimes referred to as ‘Peer appraisal’. The appraisee is appraised by most of the people they work with. The opinions of customers may also be collected. This method gives a thorough picture of the employee and is able to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses.
Land Rover carry out an appraisal system two times every year. The more frequently appraisals are carried, the better.
The benefits of a appraisal system is :
· it helps to identify training needs
· other problems may be revealed such as workplace difficulties with other staff.
· Useful skills may be uncovered
· Communications between managers and employees are improved. When a manager encourages and praises a member of staff, it is highly motivating for them.
· Appraisals provide disciplinary documentation- If Land Rover need to dismiss someone, the appraisal records which identify the employee's inability's and/or lack of effort will be useful.
Performance management allows Land Rover to ensure that all of their workers are properly trained. A properly trained employee will be more confident in their job and will be better motivated and will perform more efficiently. Customer satisfaction can be increased by providing the customer with quality products which have been made by the employees who are happy in their work. When a customer receives product, they will want to return to Land Rover again to purchase another car because of the quality control and quality assurance. This will effectively increase Land Rover sales and therefore, their long term competitiveness.
Motivation of workers in Land Rover is critical to the service provided by Land Rover -because unmotivated workers do not perform as well as motivated workers
Another way which Land Rover’s Human Resources Department contribute in competitiveness is by having a training and development procedure. This is where the manager picks out the employees strengths and weaknesses from the appraisal system and, the manager advises them to go on a training and development course. This will try to improve the skills and qualities of the employees. This is done by putting in procedures of mentoring, this is a form of counselling which builds relationships with the mentor. This type of training helps the candidate to be calm in demanding situations and further their careers. The mentor training system is regarded as a cost effective and less time consuming. Moreover, coaching methods of training could be used where, it is like mentoring, instead of improving the employee's confidence to pursue their career it actually keeps track of the employees performance and achievements. This method provides managers with a method to assess employee's suitability and performance. Also, there is a training method which is called apprenticeship, where it provides inexperienced people to develop their skills and experience in a business where new candidates will be looked after for a period of time until they have gained essential experience for the vacancy. This method of training does not cost much, because the candidates are learning while they work.
The benefits in which the employees get is:
- A signal to employees that the company believes that they are important
- Motivation for employees to acquire and use new skills, as they will be rewarded.
- Commitment by communicating to employee's the values of the organisation and how they can be trained to uphold them
- Communication, with training providing an effective channel Need satisfaction, training can contribute to the satisfaction of peoples needs for achievement and recognition. To be chosen for a course motivator.
- Job enrichment
- Change management in that training helps employees understand why change is necessary and how they will benefit. Gives them confidence to cope with new skills necessary for new working practices.
Overall, the influences of commitment is undergone through performance management and training and development procedures. The performance management motivates the staff to provide an outcome of effective working and efficiency across Land Rover.
The training and development also motivates the employees in achieving success, this is undergone by self success. Where the employees want to achieve satisfaction and value from everyone. This will also make Land Rover more competitive in the long run as skills and qualities will be generated and this can be applied to the use of Land Rover and this will make Land Rover more efficient.