Complete a Job Vacancy Form which confirms:
- details of the post
- final approval from the appropriate Director;
- in the event of the job being newly established, the approval of the Chief Executive, and confirmation from the Director of Finance, that funding is available.
Send the Job Vacancy Form to the Human Resources Department / Company Administration Office. No vacancy can be processed without this authorisation.
Ensure the Job Description and person specification are up-to-date. Contact the Human Resources Department for advice / any assistance in completing these.
Collate an information package appropriate for the post. This package should include:
- job description and if appropriate, the person specification
- information on the department
- information on the Company
- terms and conditions of employment
It is important that this pack is carefully put together in order to present a professional image of the Company, therefore out-of date or poorly presented information is not suitable.
Discuss with the Human Resources Department / Admin Office / appropriate Director the most effective means of obtaining suitable candidates. The following options should be explored (in this order):
- Internal advert within the Company
- Examination of previous applications, or those held on file within the Human Resources Department / Company Administration Office
- External advert within the job centre
- External advert in the local press
- External advert in the National press
- External advert in the appropriate technical / professional Journal
- In senior posts the use of a recruitment agency
- Publish in company websites.
- Give out and publish in job websites.
Design the advertisement. All advertisements must contain as much information as possible to ensure the correct recruitment group is targeted and reduce unsuitable applications, while remaining as cost-effective as possible. External adverts will be submitted to the appropriate Director / senior manager for approval before being placed.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Appropriate selection procedures must be used for each post. Procedures may vary, at its simplest this may involve a straight forward interview and skills testing. For more senior posts psychometric testing, presentations to the interview panel on a chosen topic and/or a series of individual interviews on various topics may be included.
The appointing manager will approach relevant people to assist with shortlisting and interviewing. At least two people should be involved in shortlisting and sit on the Interview Panel.
The application forms received by the closing date will be forwarded to the appointing managers for shortlisting. Applicants must be chosen against the Person Specification. It is the responsibility of the appointing manager at this stage to record (in writing) the reasons why an applicant is not shortlisted. All papers must be returned to the Human Resources Department / Company Administration Office, who will invite the candidates for interview, obtain references and make the necessary housekeeping arrangements for the interview. This will include timetabling the interviews and arranging Occupational Health / Company Doctor Medicals if appropriate. Candidates who have not been shortlisted will also be informed.
At least one week prior to the interview, each panellist will receive an interview pack containing:
- Copies of application forms / cv's
- Blank interview report forms.
- A copy of the job advertisement;
- A copy of the job description;
- A copy of the person specification
The appointing manager will:
- Decide on the interview format and determine which areas to concentrate on with the questioning;
- Decide on who will chair the Interview Panel;
- Deceive the references for candidates from the Human Resources Department / Company Administration Offices, and be responsible for ensuring the confidentiality of these, and for their safe return to the Human Resources Department /
Company Administration Offices for destruction.
At the interview, the appointing manager will ensure that the Interview Report Form is completed as fully as possible. When interviewing, they will ensure that Equal Opportunities legislation is strictly adhered to, with no discrimination shown on the grounds of sex, religion, age, disability or ethnic origin.
When all candidates have been interviewed, the panel will decide on the best person for the post. The appointing manager will arrange to inform the successful candidate as soon as possible, agreeing a commencement date and starting salary.
All interview packs should be returned marked "private & confidential" to the Human Resources Department / Company Administration Offices
Upon return of the Interview Report Form, the Human Resources Department / Company Administration Offices will:
- Telephone all unsuccessful candidates with outcome of interview within one working day, this will be confirmed in writing;
- Write to the appointee, offering the post providing satisfactory references and health clearance.
- Initiate a personnel file and computer entry for the new member of staff;
- Notify the Manager if the appointee refuses the offer, or if there are any other details to be cleared.
- Deal with any requirements for removal expenses or the finding of temporary accommodation for the appointee.
The Human Resources Department / Company Administration Offices will arrange, in conjunction with the appointing manager an individual programme of induction for the new start which will be arranged and agreed at least one week before the appointee commences.
I have underline the Human Resources Department / Company Administration offices every time in all the paragraphs because it suggest Recruitment is about HR department but it also link with not only about the Human Resources Department, it also link with Company Administration offices.
Using their RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION POLICY Debenhams has employee over 22,000 employees – the majority work on a part-time basis and are based in their stores. It is over their objective to provide their staff with excellent working conditions and to become the retail employer of choice. They have recently introduced a number of invitations such as flexible working in their head offices, to help their staff achieve a healthy balance work and life.
Health and Safety Policy Statement
Debenhams shall, so far as is reasonably practicable, ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of all its employees and conduct its business in such a manner as not to expose persons to any risks that may affect their health and safety.
The Managing Director shall be responsible for the establishment and maintenance of the Health and Safety Committee, and shall appoint its Chairman. The Chairman of the Health and Safety Committee shall be responsible for the communication and implementation of this policy.
Each level of management shall, so far as is reasonably practicable, provide and maintain:
- Plant, equipment and systems of work that are safe and without risks to health.
- Adequate arrangements for ensuring the absence of risk to health in the handling, storage and transport of articles and substances.
- Sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure all employees avoid hazards and contribute positively to their own health and safety at work.
- A place of work without risk to health and means of access and egress that are safe and without risks.
- A working environment that is safe and without risks to health.
- Adequate facilities and arrangements for the welfare of employees at work.
- Effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of protective and preventative measures.
Each level of management shall conduct its undertaking in a manner so as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in the Company's employ are not exposed to risks to their health and safety.
Every employee shall take reasonable care for his/her own health and safety and for that of all other people who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work. Failure to comply with this policy or with any health or safety requirement by Debenhams shall render any employee(s) responsible liable to disciplinary action, which may include dismissal.
All Executives and Managers are responsible for following through to conclusion any particular matter, which gives rise to a risk to the Health and Safety of employees or customers.
Health and Safety at Work is a mutual objective of both the Company's management and employees. The Company shall regard its health and safety functions equal to all other functions and therefore will expect the co-operation of all employees.
This Health and Safety statement shall be circulated to all employees and displayed on all notice boards in order to ensure full awareness of its contents.