Variable Scales for BBD Questionnaire
In this section, descriptive analysis is conducted for each set of measurements. Besides bar-chart (percentage), different descriptive statistics will be generated based on the type of measurement scale which is listed below:
- Nominal Scale: mode and sum
- Ordinal Scale: mode and sum
- Interval Scale: mean, median, mode and sum
- Ratio Scale: mean, median, mode and sum
With a mode of 2, the sample population has a bigger proportion of female respondents (55%).
The age distribution of this sample peaks at the higher age section. With a mean of around age 50, the sample population is more concentrated around the older age group. There is also an exceptional high proportion of people at age 64-65 (about 8%). Therefore, the age distribution of this sample consists mainly of matured and higher aged people.
Race/ethnicity, Education Level, Household Income, Marital Status, Family size, and Length of Time Living in the Community
- With a mode of 5, the bar-chart shows that a majority of the people are Caucasians.
- With a mode of 3 (some college) and an almost symmetric bar-chart, over half of the people have received education higher than college level. This indicates a high average education level.
- With a mode of 3 ($40,000 - $59,999), a majority of the sample has a household income higher than $40,000. This sample population consists of higher income individuals.
- As shown by the bar-chart of marital status and family size, most of the individuals in the sample are married with at least one child.
- Almost 70% of the people are long-term residents in the community.
- As shown in the bar-chart, there is almost 30% of the sample are unemployed. The high proportion of unemployed people is consistent with an aging sample population. As over half of the people in this sample are aged 50 and above, more people are retired and not working.
- To summarize, the sample population consists mainly of Caucasians whom are married and with at least one child with high average education level and household income. A large majority of the people have settled in the community for over 10 years.
- The above two descriptive analysis have shown that a majority of the respondents in the survey have donated blood at least once in the past 2 years while over one third of the people donate blood more than once every year. The mean of 3 donations in the past 2 years shows that on average respondents will donate blood every 6-12 months. Therefore this sample is considered have a high proportion of frequent blood donors.
Blood Bank of Delmarva membership and usage
Over 80% of the respondents are members of BBD. And Over 80% of the members have donated blood at the BBD. This indicates that a majority of the BBD have used their BBD membership when they need to donate blood.
Attitudes towards Blood Donation
The data has below shown people’s attitudes towards blood donation. Descriptive data in the table has shown that besides the first question, most people have chosen 0 (disagree) when answering why they donate blood. Therefore, membership benefits, coverage for blood costs and community support are not the main reasons that contribute to blood donation and joining of BBD membership. The main motivations for respondents to donate blood and join BBD membership are having assurance for having bloods available for themselves and their families.
Satisfaction with Blood Bank Delmarva
The various graphs and descriptive analysis presented below have all provided similar statistical messages. Respondents have generally provided very high feedbacks for all aspects of BBD’s services. Most respondents agree that BBD can provide fast service so they can donate blood as fast as possible. Respondents also have high satisfaction level for the blood donation services provided by BBD nurses. However, a significant proportion of people feel indifferent when asked whether donating blood or being a BBD member will make them feel belonging to a special community. This indicates potential issue for BBD’s membership design and management.
Therefore, in general, people have high satisfaction for BBD’s services except that BBD’s membership does not provide them with a sense of privilege and belonging when they are donating blood at BBD.
Performance of Blood Bank Delmarva
Descriptive analysis for the top 8 attributes for donating blood is summarized as below:
As BBD has achieved mean and median close to 5 (extremely good performance) for all of the top 8 attributes for blood donation, it is considered BBD has achieved high overall performance in providing blood donation services. The following bar-charts have further confirmed BBD’s high performance showing that everyone has commented positively on BBD’s performance and there is a large majority has chosen “extremely good performance” when answer the survey.
Based on demographic profile developed by statistical analysis, it is shown that BBD’s target segment should consist of Caucasians with high education level and high household income. This target segment should also be long-term local residents in the community with their own families and social circle. As one of the strongest motivation for blood donation is to make blood available for families and the community, by targeting a market segment with strong tights with the community can help BBD to increase blood donation. Besides focusing on a target segment, BBD should also focus on changing its membership program. Members should be provided with more benefits and privileges so they can feel that they belong to a special group and their contribution is appreciated by BBD and the community. If BBD can improve its member commitment, member referral and blood donation frequency can be increased to improve BBD’s performance. Besides providing more benefits to members, BBD can improve members’ sense of belonging by creating more interaction and communication with its members. Internet forum and social media networks are digital tools that BBD can use to build a virtual community. As members feel more engaged and have a stronger sense of belonging, they are more likely to donate blood and refer their friends and families to donate blood.
In conclusion, the respondents of this survey are mostly satisfied with BBD’s services and consider BBD to have high performance in most aspects of blood donation services. Based on statistical study of this survey, it is shown that BBD can improve its marketing strategy by targeting a particular market segment – long-term residents of the community, Caucasians with high education level and high household income, married with at least child. Besides focusing its marketing effort on this particular market segment, BBD should also improve its membership program to make its members more feeling more appreciated and committed to BBD’s good cause. BBD can also improve members’ sense of belonging through creating a virtual community in which members can interact and communicate more frequently with BBD.
Stat Treck 2012, Scales of Measurement in Statistics, viewed on 20 September 2012, <