- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Write a commentary on Martin Luther King’s speech. Consider how effective he is in using language and rhetorical techniques to convey his ideas.
The first 200 words of this essay...
English Coursework 2001 Nick Catigoudis -10P
Write a commentary on Martin Luther King's speech. Consider how effective he is in using language and rhetorical techniques to convey his ideas.
Introduction: In this essay I will describe the various techniques that Martin Luther King uses in his famous speech, and how effective it was in making people think about the issues he brings up throughout the whole speech.
One of the biggest things we notice in Martin Luther King's speech is the various tones and pitches of his voice. When his voice turns high and the volume of his voice is loud, it shows that he feels strongly about the point he has just made, and he wants the audience to notice what he is saying by underlining it. It is a very good technique to make people think about what you have just said. Another thing that he does after this is he pauses. Perhaps he is waiting for the audience to stop applauding him, or perhaps it is a dramatical pause, to make the audience really think hard about what he has just said. They aren't necessarily long pauses, but they are highly effective.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Plays (view all)
- "Though the most corrupt character in the world of the ...
- Blue Remembered Hills by Dennis Potter
- What are the factors that must be considered by a firm befor...
- Too much punch for Judy.
- The author Michael Frayn has used many different devices in ...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.