- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and Contrast ‘After Blenheim’ By Robert Southey and ‘Drummer Hodge’ By Thomas Hardy
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and Contrast 'After Blenheim' by Robert Southey and 'Drummer Hodge' by Thomas Hardy
'After Blenheim' is a poem written by Robert Southey in 1798. It is about an old man named Kasper. Kasper is telling his grandchildren, Peterkin and Wilhelmine, about the Battle of Blenheim (1704) during the Franco Prussian War. It was written to give an anti-war message because of the situation between England and France.
Hardy wrote 'Drummer Hodge' in 1899 during the Boer War. It is about a young drummer boy who is in an unknown place. It was written to give Hardy's point of view on the war between England and the Boers. The story was chosen to give a message of war and experience for young men. Hardy wrote it because he believed it was strange that a young boy should leave his home in Wessex to enter the war and end his life dead in Africa, a country that he knows nothing of and is forever lost.
'After Blenheim' is a very suitable title telling the reader that the poem is about the Battle of Blenheim. It begins in a narrative form, at Old Kasper's farm.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- What affect does the last episode of "Black Adder Goes ...
- Analysis of Does It Matter? by Siegfried Sassoon
- Wilfred Owen's Anthem for Doomed Youth and Siegfried Sassoon...
- Consider the ways Frayn presents Uncle Peter in 'Spies'
- Compare and Contrast the Two War Poems -'Dulce Et Decorum Es...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.