- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Jealousy in Othello
The first 200 words of this essay...
Journal #3 Role Played By Jealousy in Othello
In the play Othello, By William Shakespeare, The plot revolves around the emotion of jealousy. Jealousy is the emotion that captivates many characters in the play and causes the plot to develop. Some characters who are captivated by jealousy are Othello, Iago, And Roderigo. Iago's jealousy towards Othello is the cause for his revenge against him. He displays this jealousy from the very beginning of the play and spawns plots for revenge because of this. Iago feels jealousy towards Othello because he had given the role of lieutenant to Michael Cassio. Michael Cassio was much less qualified than him but even so, he had attained the position. Another reason for Iago being jealous towards Othello is because he had a suspicion that Othello had slept with his wife Emilia. Iago expresses "And it is thought abroad that 'twixt my sheets/He's done my office"(I.iii.380-381).This insecurity and jealousy he feels leads him to commit acts of revenge. As he becomes fixed on the idea of revenge, Iago speaks in a soliloquy he will not be satisfied "Till I am evend with him, wife for wife, /Or failing so, yet that I put
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Othello (view all)
- How Iago is portrayed in Othello
- To what extent does language reflect the disintegration of O...
- Discuss how Iago manipulates language to achieve his aims
- How does Othellos character change over the course of the pl...
- Iagos speech in Act 2 Scene 3 serves as an insight into many...
- Examine the friendship between Othello and Iago and how it l...
- How does Shakespeare use representation of speech and other ...
- Othellos jealousy and the speed at which it develops are abs...
- A tragic play centres on peripeteia. To what extent can Act ...
- To what extent can Othello be considered as a 'tragic hero'?
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.