- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess in general terms the economic, social and political impact of the First World War on Europe
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess in general terms the economic, social and political impact of the First World War on Europe.
At the end of the First World War in 1918, the economic, social and political state of Europe was such that the potential rebuilding of the continent seemed a distant and unrealistic vision.
The war had affected much of Western Europe, in particular France and Germany, not to mention Belgium, Italy and Austria. In addition vast regions of Eastern Europe also suffered dearly as Russia's bloody involvement in the war took its toll. Consequently over 8 million people were directly killed in fighting and many more millions were injured or unaccounted for. It's no surprise therefore that the impacts of the war were so strong and far reaching; the majority of Europeans suffered in one way or another. Geographical borders changed, industry changed, demographics changed but most importantly, politics in Europe changed forever. The rise of Hitler and Lenin, arguably the two most important political characters of the twentieth century, came as a direct result of the war. Women's lives across Europe changed forever as did the economy of the continent.
In no way can the impact of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Was the Korean War a Product of the Cold War tensions?
- World War One Sources Question
- How has the period of the Vietnam War been portrayed in film...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student