- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Chinese Labour On The CPR.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chinese Labour On The CPR
February 8, 2003
Although the majority of British Columbians were of Caucasian descent in the late nineteenth century, it was not the white people who built the railroad; it was the Chinese who carried most of the burden through much sweat and toil. In the 1880's Chinese labourers were brought over from China, promised good pay, one hundred grams of food per day, clean drinking water and safe working environments. To the Chinese, this sounded like a wonderful new life, a much better one than they had in China. It was too good to be true though. Thousands of Chinese labourers were disappointed beginning from their first day on the voyage from China to Canada to work on the Canadian Pacific Railroad, right through to its completion. Four hundred grams of food were originally promised to feed four labourers per day, but the reality was that the Chinese labourers had to share the four hundred grams of food between ten people. As well, the Chinese were only given two cups of water each day. It is very difficult to survive, while performing strenuous
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Analysis of Political Cartoons
- The Soviet Union developed its influence in Eastern Europe i...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- To what extent did the nuclear arms race make the world a mo...
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.