- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Gorbachev undeniably precipated the fall of the Soviet Union by ending the Cold War
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Gorbachev undeniably precipitated the fall of the Soviet Union by ending the Cold War" Discuss
Gorbachev's intentions behind the ending of the state of hostility with the US were to preserve the longevity of the Soviet Union rather than lead it to its downfall. As events turned out, the impact of his well-intentioned reforms were miscalculated by him, leading to his place in history as the one man who ended the Cold War, if there can be such a one man. Though the end of the Cold War did have an immediate impact on the fall of the Soviet Union through the arousing of nationalist sentiments in the Soviet Union and the political fallout on Gorbachev, in reality underlying socio-economic problems were already in place in the Soviet Union, and Gorbachev's reforms merely brought forward the imminent doom that the Soviet Union was headed for.
The end of the Cold War in Eastern Europe aroused nationalist sentiments in the Soviet Union itself, leading to its decline. Eastern Europe had been brought into the Soviet sphere of influence as buffer states against any possible western invasion. With nuclear technology, Eastern Europe's role as a buffer state has
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Duality in Frankenstein
- Can War Be Justified?
- British Imperialism in India.
- How far do you agree that the Cold War broke out in Europe b...
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.