- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why, despite the victory of the Unionin the Civil War, did former slaves fail to secure full civil rights 1865 - 77?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why, despite the victory of the Union in the Civil War, did former slaves fail to secure full civil rights 1865 - 77?
The end of the Civil War provided America with the perfect opportunity to start again as a united and democratic country. The Northern victory had put an end to the threat of a rupture in the Union, and the future of the country had been established. However, there was also the far more significant chance to unite the country under the flag of liberty and equality, for which the North had won their devastating success. Surely victory would be useless if it was not pursued by a radical change in the situation and status of the African Americans, who, after all, had played a significant part in the war effort. Unfortunately, there were several obstacles in the way of true racial equality, which were destined to remain insurmountable for nearly one hundred years.
At the end of the war, the challenge for the Northern leaders seemed intricate and thorny, but not necessarily impossible. The most important question still to be answered was what to do with the rebel states. Should they be treated
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History of the USA, 1840-1968 (view all)
- Asses the impact of Westward expansion on Native Americans
- To what extent was the impact of WW1 a key factor in the US ...
- Assess the Generalship of Robert E. Lee
- To what extent were Malcolm X and the subsequent Black Power...
- How influential was Theodore Roosevelt in American Politics ...
- 'Johnson alone bears the responsibility for the escalation o...
- How Successful Was Martin Luther Kings Campaign For Civil Ri...
- The Ku Klux Klan prevented African Americans from gaining ci...
- How much and why did President Truman help to promote racial...
- Causes of the radicalisation of the Civil Rights Movement
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.