- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Women at work in World War 2.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Women at work in World War 2
Women in world war two carried out various types of work. These ranged from being fire wardens and working in munitions factories up and down the country, to conducting trains.
Women found it difficult to obtain work as they faced some major obstacles. Thousands wanted to work but they faced low wages, insufficient day nurseries and inadequate transport amongst others. To combat this, state-run nurseries were set up, job sharing between women was introduced and they were given better conditions of work in the factories, to encourage them to take up the many jobs the men had left behind.
Source F suggests that the women's role in the war be much the same as that before the war. They were expected to still take care of the home and provide a meal when their husbands returned from work. However, they were expected by many to provide a service to their country to the best of their ability and still do the same jobs they had before the war. Attitude in society had not changed towards women. They had to prove they could do what the men were capable of.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- Duality in Frankenstein
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- British Imperialism in India.
- How significant was the presence of foreign powers as an inf...
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.