- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Mitchells Gone With the Wind is a very important movie. It shows blacks in a light that went along with stereotypes at the time.
The first 200 words of this essay...
7 April 2012
Gone With the Wind
Gone with the Wind is a very important movie in American history. It tells the story of the Civil War and its aftermath, while at the same time providing the viewer with a very complicated love story. Intertwined in this story is the story of many black characters. They are stereotypical characters but at the same time they defy some of the beliefs about them. Mitchell presents us with many black stock characters such as the mammy, brute, and contented slave. They way they are portrayed however is in a very negative light.
There are a few stock characters presented in this film, the main one being Mammy. She is portrayed as heavyset, masculine, sassy, and served as a surrogate mother to the O'Hara children. She had no full identity; she had no real name and no last name. She is the loyal housekeeper who remained with the O'Hara's even after she had been emancipated. Therefore, she also represents the contented slave who preferred to remain with their master. She is faithful and protective of the family. She
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Films (view all)
- Michael Moores purpose in Sicko is to inform his audience ab...
- Dry September Faulkner describes the setting and...
- compare contrast of sherman alexies movie and story
- Looking at mise-en-scene, cinematography and sound in the fi...
- Genre and Narrative Essay
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.