- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Historical Periods of Music.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Historical Periods of Music
(1500 - 1600)
Byrd, William was England's mot prominent composer during the reigns of Elizabeth I and James I. His music had great religious belief and a large emotional power of the audience. Due to the period in which he composed, he mainly composed Sacred music for the church. Before Byrd's time, sacred music consisted solely of vocals because people felt that by adding instruments, it would take away from the strength of the words. Later in the Renaissance period, instruments were introduced and they used an antiphonal effect.
I listened to William Byrd's "Pavana for the Earle of Salisbury". It is contrapuntal, which was mainly featured in this period. There are no vocals in the piece, which means that it was composed later in the Renaissance. It has a very slow tempo, which is suggested in it's title suggested; "Pavana" meaning slow. There was a harpsichord, where the chords are followed closely by the main melody. If the two parts were played separately, then it highlighted the equality if the time, where there wasn't a melody and accompaniment, but two equally important lines of music.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- Compare and contrast ‘Ghost Dances’ and &a...
- Mozart Symphony No. 41 in C, K551 "Jupiter" Analys...
- The Development of Music and Dance as Storytelling Devices i...
- An analysis of Sweelinck's 'Pavana Lachrimae'
- The ultimate question is where will music be in the future? ...
- Analysis of the Exposition of the First Movement of Beethove...
- The history of the band "The Police".
- In this assignment I will be analysing the use of sound desi...
- Analysis of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 1st Movement
- Music Analysis. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" ...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Zoey. University Student.