- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
limbo by Edward Brathwaite
The first 200 words of this essay...
In 'Limbo', by Edward Brathwaite, I feel that there are numerous ways
to look at the story. One idea is that the poem is a journey, most
likely on a slave ship. If you were onboard a slave ship, and you
were a slave, you would be placed underneath, on the lowest deck with
no lights or window. This lets in very little light, creating the
dark. Limbo is a dance slaves used to do on slave ships basically to keep themselves fit and in shape. The limbo dance is connected with the cruelty of slavery, Brathwaite explains this "stick is the whip" This metaphor connects the dance with its origins in the slave trade. In limbo I think objects take on many levels of meaning like the limbo stick for example explains to us how far slaves had to bend backwards to win the game. The poet uses
the limbo stick to describe the action of the slaves: the stick is
lowered towards the ground. I feel the slaves are being forced down into the
holds of the ship, becoming more
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- Mozart Symphony No. 41 in C, K551 "Jupiter" Analys...
- The Development of Music and Dance as Storytelling Devices i...
- Is It Acceptable for Composers To Borrow and/or Adapt Existi...
- 'The seven deadly sins' was the stimulus for the integrated ...
- The Musical Role of the Bass Guitar
- Analysis of the Exposition of the First Movement of Beethove...
- The history of the band "The Police".
- In this assignment I will be analysing the use of sound desi...
- Analysis of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 1st Movement
- Music Analysis. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo