- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Sexual Selection and Human Reproductive behaviour
The first 200 words of this essay...
PYA4 - Evolutionary Explanations of Human Behaviour
Sexual Selection and human reproductive behaviour (mate choice)
Putting it all together: Writing a model answer
Darwins' theory of natural selection suggested that all species were motivated by ensuring their survival. From this idea, came the concept of 'survival' of the fittest, through which only 'adaptive' traits and/or characteristics would be 'naturally selected'. Darwin came to believe that human reproductive behaviour could be explained through a similar process - sexual selection.
Sexual selection represents a 'special' case of natural selection, introduced by Darwin to resolve the problem that some traits/characteristics continue to be naturally selected, despite not offering any advantage in terms of survival. The basic motivation behind sexual selection is that, rather than ensuring our ultimate survival (which is futile as we will surely all die), we are motivated to maximise our chances of reproductive success - in doing this, our DNA will pass on and so indirectly we survive through our offspring. In other words, some behaviours, traits and characteristics continued to be reproduced, even though they made the survival of that species LESS likely.
An example of this might be the peacock's tail, which
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Psychology of Individual Differences (view all)
- The contents of this essay will explain different psychologi...
- "Attempts to define abnormality are always limited by c...
- Discuss issues relating to the classification and diagnosis ...
- Outline and evaluate attempts to define abnormality
- Discuss the biological approach to psychopathology
- Accurately describe the four definitions of abnormality we h...
- EVALUATE THE MEDICAL MODEL AND THE BEHAVIOURAL MODEL OF ABNO...
- Discuss psychological therapies for obsessive compulsive dis...
- Discuss the behavioural approach to explaining psychological...
- Case Study for psychology. The boy who couldnt stop washing
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.