- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The effect of Caffeine on the heart rate
To investigate the effect of caffeine on the heart rate of Daphnia (water fleas).
Daphnia are tiny water fleas with an average size of less than 3mm. Daphnia are translucent invertebrates (have no backbone) and their outer body is made up of a hard shell which protects the whole body except for the head. Daphnia's are found in ponds, lakes, and calm streams where the temperature is between 21-24°C (68-71°F). Daphnia reproduce rapidly. Up to 13 billion related offspring can occur within 60 days for one Daphnia. In winter the eggs are thick-shelled and thin shelled in the summer. In warmer temperatures the eggs will hatch female, and in colder temperatures the eggs will be male.
Daphnia's will be used to experiment the on as although they are tiny in size their heart beat can be examined through a microscope because of their transparency.
Caffeine is produced by plants as an insecticide. Cocoa in South America, coffee in Africa and tea in Asia has all been used for hundreds of years to produce "pick me up" drinks
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Energy, Respiration & the Environment (view all)
- How is ATP produced and used in living organisms?
- Mean temperatures are rising these may result in physiologi...
- Cycles in Biology.
- effect of temperature on the rate of respiration in yeast
- How Abiotic Factors Present In an Ecosystem Affect the Organ...
- Reintroduction of Wolves to Yellowstone National Park: Good ...
- How effective is tuberculosis (TB) treatment in less economi...
- Infectious Diseases - Avian Flu
- African Trypanosomiasis aka African Sleeping Sickness
- The Effect of Caffeine on Daphnia Heart Rate
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.