- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Effects of Various Carbohydrate Substrates on Yeast Fermentation.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Effects of Various Carbohydrate Substrates on Yeast Fermentation
This experiment was performed to determine which carbohydrate substrates positively influence yeast fermentation since yeast seems to have greater ability to utilize certain carbohydrates. Rate of evolution of carbon dioxide was measured by the amount of carbon dioxide produced over time. We compared the reaction rates in samples with varying carbohydrate substrates at a constant temperature of 35 degrees C. The most efficient carbohydrates, with respect to time and energy, were the ones best suited for the yeast's "enzyme-based transport system (Vilet, 1993)", which allows entry into the yeast cell and entry into the glycolytic pathway. Those carbohydrates best suited for the enzyme-transport system had the highest carbon dioxide levels and the greatest reaction rates.
For millennia, humans have used the alcoholic fermentation capability of yeast to produce breads, crackers and a variety of fermented beverages including beer and wine. Yeast are versatile unicellular fungi. They grow rapidly and have simple nutritional requirements. "When yeast degrade nutrients in the absence of oxygen they use the process of glycolysis to produce energy in the form of ATP (Klocker, 1901)". In this process, known as yeast
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Exchange, Transport & Reproduction (view all)
- The Importance and Biological Functions of Carbohydrates.
- Osmosis in Living Tissue.
- AN ACCOUNT OF NITROGENOUS EXCRETION IN MAMMALS Excretion is ...
- The Role of Carbohydrates in Living Organisms
- Blood structure and function in the body.
- Describe the Structures of the Human Respiratory System
- Transpiration in Leaves Experiment
- The Process of Osmosis and its Importance to Living Organism...
- Hypothesis: To investigate the effect of different concentra...
- Excretion and the functioning of the kidneys
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.