- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Effect of Sucrose Concentration on Osmosis.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Effect of Sucrose Concentration on Osmosis
The aim of this experiment is to find out the effect sucrose concentration has on the mass of a potato cell and the rate of osmosis. We also want to find the concentration of the cell sap in a potato.
If water is withheld from a flowering plant, the flowers wilt. If bacterial cells are placed in concentrated salt water solution, they collapse and die. Human red blood cells placed in fresh water expand and burst. These are examples of the effects of osmosis, the process by which water passes through a cell membrane.
Osmosis is a specific form of diffusion that only affects water molecules. It is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration, to an area of low concentration through a semi-permeable membrane.
An example of osmosis occurs when a sugar solution and water, top, are separated by a semi-permeable membrane. The solution's large sugar molecules cannot pass through the membrane into the water. Small water molecules move through the membrane until equilibrium is established, bottom.
Osmosis is possible because of the constant state of motion
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Exchange, Transport & Reproduction (view all)
- Control of the internal environment of mammals
- Compare and Contrast the Transport System of a Mammal and a ...
- To investigate the effect of trampling on the frequency of c...
- Osmosis In Potato Cells
- Monitoring Blood Glucose Levels.
- Transpiration in Leaves Experiment
- The Process of Osmosis and its Importance to Living Organism...
- Hypothesis: To investigate the effect of different concentra...
- Excretion and the functioning of the kidneys
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.