- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Are we influenced by TV and film? Briefly discuss the evidence and arguments for and against censorship.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Media and Ideology
Q1. Are we influenced by TV and film? Briefly discuss the evidence and arguments for and against censorship.
Censorship of the media allows either the government or a governmentally appointed department the right to dictate to individuals what they are allowed to view. In a democratic society, personal freedom is of paramount importance and therefore we should have the right watch what ever we want. But, the most vulnerable in society, for example young children need to be protected, and consideration must be given to the feelings and sensitivities of minority groups, for example racially motivated violence or hatred. It is only though legislation that society is able to ensure that the vulnerable are protected. Censorship of television, film and videos allows our children to be shielded from unsuitable material, including bad language, sex and violence.
All societies have some form of censorship or control over the media. Although there will always be differences of opinion on what is suitable or acceptable, the issue is who do we allow to control media output and how do they do this. Every film and TV programme that is going to be shown at the cinema or released
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- The issue of media ownership is a complex one and therefore,...
- Censorship is necessary to protect the public
- How does media impact on our daily life?
- Marketisation of education
- Does Media Violence Lead to Aggression and Societal Violence...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
- Television and How it Affects Society
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.