- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess different sociological accounts of the role and functions of religion in contemporary society'
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Assess different sociological accounts of the role and functions of religion in contemporary society'
Over the years there have been many accounts put forward by different groups of sociologists to try and explain the role and functions of religion in society.
The functionalists believe that religion is good and makes a useful contribution to society as it draws people together and makes it a better community. Durkheim believed that when you practice religion you in engage in collective worship of society. Durkheim based his study on Aborigines in Australia. Each clan had a totem that they worshiped, it was a way of worshipping their society, togetherness it was also a symbol of God. He says that society is more important than individual religion as it reinforces collective consciousness and that having a social life would be impossible if people didn't share the same values and beliefs. Durkheim gives an accurate picture of what the aborigine's life was like, and it showed that having the same norms and values can draw people together and give a sense of community but worshipping their own society may be true of the aborigines but may not be true of other cultures
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- Assess the strengths and limitations of unstructured intervi...
- Sociological Perspectives
- Explain your understanding of the principle sociological per...
- Use sociological terminology to describe the principal socio...
- Assess the view that the education system exists mainly to s...
- Outline and asses the view that new social movements express...
- Biological and Social Constructionist explanations of Gender...
- Assess the relation between sociology and social policy
- Feminism: A Sociological Overview
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.