- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Marxist theory, and in particular its use in media analysis, is outmoded in a world where a capitalist consumer culture holds sway. Explain why you agree or disagree with this statement.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Marxist theory, and in particular its use in media
analysis, is outmoded in a world where a capitalist
consumer culture holds sway. Explain why you agree
or disagree with this statement.
For Karl Marx, the mass media was simply an instrument of bourgeois control over
the proletariat, a part of the overall superstructure of society, along with religion, the family
Marxist theory has been very influential since he started writing about developed
capitalist society in the mid-Victorian era. His basic premise - that the oppressed proletariat
(workers) should emancipate themselves and take control of society away from the
bourgeoisie (the ruling classes) - has spawned political movements, academic theories and
hundreds of different interpretations and analyses.
Marxist and 'neo-Marxist' approaches to the study of mass media have been
common in academic circles since the late 1960s, but of late Marxism has been shunned as
'unfashionable', partly due to the rise of the New Right in the 1980s, but mainly because its
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- The mass media have direct and immediate effects on the idea...
- Moral Panic and media folk devils.
- 'Society affects how people perceive themselves, Body Image ...
- Do we need Censorship in the Media?
- Multiculturalism. Thesis Statement: Is the concept of multic...
- How Media, Advertising and Celebrity Culture Affects Female ...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.