- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Chile - trade and economy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chile was for a time the shining light in South America, it was seen as the model for economic growth for all its neighbours, with important industries such as copper, other minerals, foodstuffs, fish processing, iron and steel, wood and wood products, transport equipment, cement, textiles. The countries market-oriented economy is characterised by a high level of foreign trade and the major exports are copper, fish, fruits, paper and pulp and chemicals with Chile importing consumer goods, chemicals, motor vehicles, fuels, electrical machinery, heavy industrial machinery and food. The economy itself has not lived up to previous expectations of earlier years; this has lead to a degree of social deprivation. The literacy rate (defined as those aged 15 and over who can read and write) in Chile is currently at 96.2%, out of a population of 15 million this is good for a country sometimes viewed as economically backward. The demographics of the country show a good balance for Chile, the working population makes up 66% of the nation with a pension-age population of only
7.7%. The GDP per capita of Chile is currently at $10,000 this compared to the USA at $37,000, Malawi at $670
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- Monetary Policy and Fiscal Policy are two important tools of...
- Inequality in the UK.
- UK supermarkets - Oligopolistic competition
- The International Monetary Fund And Global Economic Crises
- Assess the relative merits and demerits of a market economy....
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
- Research the Causes of financial crisis in 2008 & 2011 a...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.