- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Kingfisher is the largest home improvement retailer in Europe and the third largest in the world. Kingfisher is a pure DIY business and is a market leader in the UK with B&Q (figure 6).
- Essay length: 6398 words
- Submitted: 02/05/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Kingfisher is the largest home improvement retailer in Europe and the third largest in the world. Kingfisher is a pure DIY business and is a market leader in the UK with B&Q (figure 6). The retail industry has grown over the past 10 years, as total growth since 1995 is 38% at current prices. DIY retailers accounts for under 4% of total retail sales, which will increase as consumers interests with their homes and owner-occupation continues to absorb growing amounts of disposable income. The DIY sector is dominated by three players who account for 90% of the sales; B&Q, Focus and Homebase.
Table 1 shows a number of factors of why the industry has benefited in the last five years
Buoyant housing market (figure1)
Increasing consumer debt
Greater interest in the home which has been influenced by DIY/makeover programmes and home interest magazines (figure 2)
The development of warehouse stores (superseded super centres) by B&Q has helped Kingfisher make DIY more accessible and available to consumers worldwide
Demand has increased by manufacturers developing products for the untrained DIY man
Wide spread use of the internet has
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- Distinction Between Economic Growth and Economic Development
- Economic growth is a necessary but not sufficient condition ...
- The impact of economies and diseconomies of scale Tesco face
- Pest Analysis of Sony
- How do economic systems solve the problem of scarcity?
- IGCSE AND GCSE Economics Units 1 and 2 Notes - markets and t...
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student