- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Nutrients are split into two main groups, the macronutrients which contains carbohydrates, fats and protein and the micronutrients which contains vitamins and minerals. These split groups are based on the amounts of a nutrient needed
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Design and technology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Nutrition assignment 1
Nutrients are the chemical substances which we obtain from food. There are many different nutrients and they all provide the body with different things such as energy, structural materials, regulating agents to support body growth, maintenance and repair of the body's tissues.
Nutrients are split into two main groups, the macronutrients which contains carbohydrates, fats and protein and the micronutrients which contains vitamins and minerals. These split groups are based on the amounts of a nutrient needed in a person's daily diet. Therefore, we should eat more carbohydrates, fats and proteins each day than vitamins and minerals.
Carbohydrates are composed of composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen to form compounds. Carbohydrates have a general molecular formula of CH O, this means that for every carbon and oxygen atom there will be twice as many hydrogen atoms.
Carbohydrates are made up of sugar molecules which are classed into different groups depending on how many sugars the carbohydrate contains. There are monosaccharides, which is made up of one sugar, disaccharides which consist of two sugars and there are polysaccharides which consists of many sugars.
Monosaccharides and disaccharides are called 'simple carbohydrates' as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Food Technology (view all)
- Explain the need for nutrition by living organisms.
- Carry out positive food tests for protein, fat, glucose and ...
- Here is a diet plan for my person. This plan will show him d...
- Up until the 1950s, smoking was a socially acceptable practi...
- Comparing the Commercial Sector with the Catering Service
- Chocolate. 1) Who first created or discovered chocolate? 2)...
- This task will describe three examples of food contamination...
- What small steps can people in the UK take to becoming more ...
- Should my child have school dinners instead of packed lunche...
- My aim is to prepare a meal and compare each component with ...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.