- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss how Sharman Macdonald uses effective dramatic devices in the play "After Juliet"
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss how Sharman Macdonald uses effective dramatic devices in the play "After Juliet".
"After Juliet" is the modern continuation of William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet". The play deals with the aftermath of Romeo and Juliet's tragic deaths and leads up to the trials of Angelica (know as "Nurse" in the original), Fryr Lawrence (the man who married Romeo and Juliet) and The Apothecary of Mantua, who supplied the poison which Romeo and Juliet took to end their lives.
The play still maintains many elements of the original; firstly, the characters are the same, with an addition of a few new ones and some other ones missing. However, this time minor characters from the original have a more central role. For example, Rosaline is the original was known of but never spoke. In "After Juliet" she is one of the main characters.
Despite the many things kept the same, there are several changes in the play which gives it some noticeable difference from the original play. The language has changed from old English to modern day English. This is a vital change to make as it is necessary to engage the audience in the play so
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Authors (view all)
- tension built up-of mice and men
- East is East
- What is the Importance of Alfred Doolittle to Shaw's 'Pygmal...
- Characterization of Walter in A Raisin in the Sun
- How does Ayub Khan-Din portray conflict in the play East is ...
- In O'Casey's "Juno and the Paycock" Show How Far ...
- The character of Ziggi Blasko in David Williamsons play, Inf...
- "Two weeks with the queen" the play by Mary Morris...
- The Browning Version - Mr Crocker-Harris - one of the main t...
- How Doyle creates a story through the eyes of a 10 year old ...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.