- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How does Miller explore different kinds of conflict at the end of ‘The Crucible’, do you think it is a satisfactory ending?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How does Miller explore different kinds of conflict at the end of 'The Crucible', do you think it is a satisfactory ending?
Arthur Millers play 'The Crucible' is, on the surface, a play about a real life historical event that took place in the small American town of Salem in 1692. A mass hysteria gripped the town because of accusations of witchcraft and compacting with the devil. This led to many innocent people being hanged. However, some people believe that if you look deeper into the play you can see clear parallels with 1692 Salem and 1950's America. After the end of the Second World War most of Europe was devastated and left trying to recover. This left the USA and the USSR as the two dominant superpowers, both of these heavily armed nations were extremely scared of the other attacking them and so came an arms race to try to beat the other side. Diplomatic relations between the two powers broke down and widespread fear of communism took over the USA. So began the 'Cold War'. Senator Joseph McCarthy set up the House Un-American Committee to root out communists and their sympathisers. This included anyone who had remotely left-wing
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- Theme of love in a view from the bridge
- Examine miller's presentation of the marriage of John and El...
- A View From the Bridge - The whole of this play involves sym...
- Human Motivation in the Crucible. Abigail, Thomas Putnam, an...
- The Crucible: Act III quotes and analysis
- How is Eddie Represented in 'A View from the Bridge'?
- In some sense, 'The Crucible' has the arrangement of a trage...
- Death of a Salesman. What do you think makes this conversati...
- How does Miller make the Vinny Bolzano Story a Fascinating M...
- Jealousy is a very important theme in the play A view from a...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.