- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Short story assessement - "The Bread winner" by Leslie Halward.
The first 200 words of this essay...
1/10/2001 "The Breadwinner by Leslie Halward Siobhan Lawless
A short story I have just read recently is called "The Breadwinner". This short story was written by Leslie Halward. The character who aroused my emotions the most was Billy. I felt sympathy towards him because he is the only person working. Then he comes in, gets a beaten and sent to bed with no food. I also feel respect towards Billy as he stood up to his dad. The second character who aroused my emotions was Billy's mother. I also felt sympathy and respect towards her as she stood up to her husband and has to put up with him. Billy's dad was the person who aroused different emotions I disliked him because he bullied Billy and his wife.
Towards Billy I felt sympathy because he is working all week then comes home and gets a beating from his dad. I also feel admiration towards Billy because I admire him for standing up to his dad. A quotation which helps me feel sympathetic towards Billy is:
"he beat him unmercifully about the body and legs"
I felt really sorry for Billy at this point because
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Barry Hines (view all)
- Discussing Kes.
- How does Billy's tall story in "A Kestrel For A Knave&q...
- A study of Neil Fry and how the other characters react with ...
- Compare the ways in which Mrs. Casper, Mr. Sugden and Mr. Fa...
- A KESTREL FOR A KNAVE
- Kes. This story was set in 1968 in Barnsley. The key chara...
- In a Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines, Hines effectively c...
- How does Hines presents Mrs Casper in the novel.
- the kez
- Kes affected Billy's life in many ways, for good and for bad
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.