- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Speckled Band and Lamb to the Slaughter comparison
The first 200 words of this essay...
Wide reading assignment:
Comparison between: "The Speckled Band" and "Lamb to the Slaughter"
In this assignment, I am going to compare the two murder mystery stories: "Lamb to the Slaughter', written in 1954 by Roald Dahl, and 'The Speckled Band', written in 1892 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Although both books are from the same genre, they have many differences. I will comment on these differences, and any similarities between the stories, and then come to conclusions based upon the comments I make.
The main thing to remember when comparing the two books is the fact that they were written at different times. This means that the language used, and the way in which this language is used, will be different in each book. For example, we see that in 'The Speckled Band', that the sentences are generally much longer than the modern day sentences, used in 'Lamb to the Slaughter'. For example, we see that Dr. Watson says "It is perhaps as well that the facts should now come to light, for I have reasons to know there are widespread rumours to the death of Dr Grimesby Roylott which tend to make the matter even more
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Conan Doyle (view all)
- Write a diary entry or entries as if you are Helen Stoner. R...
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle uses many literary devices to convey ...
- A study of Arthur Conan Doyle's presentation of Sherlock Hol...
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "The speckled band" - plot ...
- How Society is reflected in Conan Doyle's 'The Speckled Band...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.