- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Write about Gerald Croft his role in the play, character and relationships
Are you in the right place?
Jump to JB Priestley and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Write about Gerald Croft - his role in the play, character and relationships
John Priestley, born in 1894, was a British playwright. He lived through both world wars, serving in the first before being wounded by mortar fire. He did not serve in the second, but instead, was a radio presenter on a show called "The Postscript", which had extremely high viewer rates. He was one of the co-founders of the Commonwealth Party. He has strong views against Thatcherism and the "every man for himself" policy. These views come out strongly in his plays and especially in An Inspector Calls. Gerald and Mr Birling have very Thatcheristically influenced views and the Inspector was the role created to show Gerald and Mr Birling how wrong they were, although neither of them change at the end of the play.
Gerald Croft is the heir to Croft's Limited, and therefore has a great deal of money. He is described by Priestley as a "young man about town", as if Gerald knows where to go for a good time, although in a bad way, because he is shown to be a habitué of the Palace Bar, a well known pick
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector C...
- "We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We ar...
- The Meaning Of An Inspector Calls - J.B. Priestly
- An Inspector Calls Overview and Personal Response
- How does Priestly reveal his views about the responsibility?...
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.