- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Bloody Sunday - Why interpretations differ.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Richard Wiseman 11GH
Why interpretations differ.
January 30th 1972 was a dark day for Northern Ireland. During a civil rights march in the Bogside the British army opened fire on marchers. The result was fourteen dead Catholics. The exact facts about the event still remain controversial. I will attempt to look into why interpretations of Bloody Sunday differ, using the sources provided and my own studies.
In source A when confronted with evidence that points towards blaming the paratroopers for the deaths a soldiers denounces it as "rubbish". He then goes on to say, "For years people have accused us of firing indiscriminately. We weren't." The paratroopers were against another enquiry into Bloody Sunday as they saw that justice had had its way in the first inquiry, they saw another inquiry as just to appease the Catholics. Another reason was that the paras were afraid that the new enquiry would uncover some things that they would rather was kept secret, did the paras have something to hide? One of the reasons for the enquiry happening now is to help peace talks in Ireland. What is the army's story for the events of Bloody
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Parnell and the Irish Question Why did Gladstone fail to pac...
- Why Did Home Rule Divide The Liberal Party So Decisively?
- Did Partition solve the problems in Ireland
- How successful has the peace process in Northern Ireland bee...
- Why is the Good Friday Agreement proving so difficult to imp...
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.