- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In 1932 America was suffering from a terrible economic depression.
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE USA, 1919-1941
ASSIGNMENT 2: ASSESMENT OBJECTIVES 2 & 3
WAS THE NEW DEAL A SUCCESS?
In 1932 America was suffering from a terrible economic depression. President Hoover did not believe in government interfering with industry or business and little was done about to help the unemployed and the increasing numbers of the poor. In the 1932 election for president, Hoover lost to Franklin Roosevelt, the democratic candidate. During the election campaign Roosevelt had promised the American people a "new deal". Roosevelt's government created jobs through public works schemes and the poor were given help. Never before had the government played such an important part in the economy.
Historians disagree over the effectiveness of the new deal. Some see it as a great success, others as a dangerous failure.
1. Study source A.
Use source A and your own knowledge of the period to explain why people supported Roosevelt in the 1932 election. (5)
Source A was one of Roosevelt's speeches during the election of 1932.Roosevelt here was asking America not only just to vote him but to help him bring America out of the depression. Roosevelt was being supported by the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
USA 1919-1941 (view all)
- The United States 1919-1941 - Roosevelt and the New Deal. W...
- Which source is the most useful as evidence about public opi...
- What impact did the Wall Street Crash have on America?
- What were the causes of the great depression?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of source A as an inte...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.