- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Was Custer a Hero?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Was Custer a Hero?
Was Custer a hero? In my opinion, I think he had the ability to become a hero, but made some terrible mistakes.
His first downfall was when he graduated last in his class at the United States Military Academy. This tells us that he was neither very academic nor very intelligent or maybe he was lazy. From this point, he shot up through the ranks in the army: first he became Captain, then Lieutenant-Colonel and finally Brigadier-General at the age of 23, becoming the youngest General ever in the US army. This tells us he must have been talented, had the skills or showed strong leadership qualities.
"Custer had a flair that caught the eyes of powerful men. Custer made perhaps the most extraordinary series of leaps in rank in the history of the US Army..."
(D. Nevin, The Soldiers, 1974)
His major downfall was in 1867, when he was court-martialled and suspended from duty for abandoning his command. This gives me the impression that he is a coward, or maybe he disagreed with his orders and thought his way would help him to achieve greatness? In his portrait (Source
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- The Rebecca Riots
- Medicine Through Time Timeline
- How civilised were the Romans?
- The Triangular Slave Trade and its Effects.
- English civil war project - causes, battles and tactics
- Anne Frank Factfile
- St.David's effect on Christianity in Wales
- Henry Tudor. How did a Welshman become King of England?
- Describe and explain the foundation of the National Health S...
- Evaluate the role of William Wilberforce in his campaign to ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.