- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What made peace hard in the Arab-Israeli conflict
The first 200 words of this essay...
Arab Israeli conflict
What made peace difficult?
The peace treaty between Israel and Palestine was signed by the two presidents, Yitzhak Rabin (Israeli president) and Yasser Arafat (Palestinian president) in 1993. The peace treaty didn't last for very long because the two countries as a whole didn't like the peace treaty because lots of different groups didn't agree with it.
When the Israelis were given land in Palestine by the US, They were outraged. They had owned it for almost the last 2000 years. The Palestinians didn't see why they had to give up their land to the Israelis. What made it worse was the fact that the Israelis took over Jerusalem (sacred place to both Israelis and Palestinians) during the war in 1967. The Israeli Jews wanted Jerusalem because that is where the Wailing Wall is (the last standing wall of their ancient mosque). The Palestinian Muslims wanted Jerusalem because they believe that their prophet Mohammed descended to heaven there. The fact that both sides wanted Jerusalem made peace difficult because they wanted a place that is holy to both of them, and were willing to fight for it.
During the wars, seven hundred thousand
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- A Guide to Standard Grade History: Essay Writing
- How and why did castles change over time?
- Did England become Protestant in the sixteenth century?
- Medicine Through Time Timeline
- oliver cromell- hero or villain?
- Anne Frank Factfile
- St.David's effect on Christianity in Wales
- Henry Tudor. How did a Welshman become King of England?
- Describe and explain the foundation of the National Health S...
- Evaluate the role of William Wilberforce in his campaign to ...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.