- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Why did relations between the USA and the Soviet Union worsen between 1948-56?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Why did relations between the USA and the Soviet Union worsen between 1948-56?
The arms race between the Soviet Union and the USA was very unsteady and constantly moving. The Soviet Union were always catching up with the USA on the weapons that they had, until the end when they were either in the lead or were ahead of the USA. The arms race started with the USA detonating the first atomic bomb in 1945 on Hiroshima as a result of Japan bombing Pearl Harbour. The Soviet Union equalled out the arms race when they detonated their first atomic bomb in 1949 (4 years ahead of predicted). After that America went back in being in the lead by revealing their own Hydrogen Bomb. Their lead was short as the Russian scientists managed to develop a Hydrogen Bomb as well. As the Hydrogen Bomb was so big there was no way for the Bomb to be put onto a plane and dropped from above the target, this was until the USA developed a plane especially made for carrying Hydrogen Bombs in 1954. Later in the year the Soviet Union developed their own Hydrogen Bomb Bomber. Yet again the USA
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- How did Mao Zedong secure control of China in the 1950's?
- Causes of the Cold war. Soviet expansion and the Marshall Pl...
- Who was to blame for the Cold War?
- Explain why relations between the Soviet Union and Czechoslo...
- The Cuban Missile Crisis: Causes and Consequences
- Edexcel Cold War 1943-1991 Revision (Detailed)
- Why did communism collapse in Eastern Europe and the USSR?
- Key figures in the Hungarian and Czech Uprisings
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
- Who was to blame for the cold war?
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.