• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Directed Study - Lay Magistrates.

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

James Bellis Directed Study - Lay Magistrates Lay Magistrates - or Justices of the Peace - Have been an important part of our legal system for hundred of years. They deal with approximately 98% of all criminal cases. a) Describe the selection, Training and role of lay magistrates. b) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using lay magistrates in the English legal system. a) Every Year approximately 1500 lay magistrates are appointed, These people are appointed by the lord chancellor apart from in Lancashire where they are appointed by the Chancellor for the Duchy of Lancaster, on behalf of the queen. The Lord Chancellor depends on recommendations by the local advisory committee a method that is criticized often. Because the membership of the committees used to be secret but have been published since 1993, the committees are usually made up of ex-justices of the Peace, the county's lord lieutenant is usually the chairman. Half the members of such committees have to retire every three years; the maximum number on a committee is 12 and must be a mixture of magistrates and non-magistrates. ...read more.

Middle

within magistrates operate, an ability to follow basic law and procedure, an ability to think and act judicially, an ability to work as an effective member of a team. New Magistrates keep a log of progress and has a mentor who is an experienced magistrate. In the first 2 years of a magistrates sitting, between 8 and 11 of their sessions will be mentored during this time they are required to go to 7 training sessions during which there will be an appraisal of the magistrate to ensure they have gained the required competencies. Magistrates that do not show the competencies will be given extra training; if this is not sufficient then they will be referred to the advisory committee, which may recommend the Lord Chancellor removes them. This scheme uses "on the job" training and is seen as a step forward from the old system whereby the there was no check on the magistrate's receptiveness of the training. The role of a lay magistrate is particularly wide and mainly concerns criminal cases, lay magistrates try 97% of criminal cases plus preliminary hearings in the remaining 3% of criminal cases including remand hearings, bail applications etc. ...read more.

Conclusion

Another advantage is the training that lay magistrates receive being that they are not complete amateurs and that most of their decisions require common sense rather than professional training, however there is the criticism that the training varies in quality and is sometimes unsatisfactory given the high workload. There have been a number of studies involving the huge inconsistencies in sentences Youth courts have also seen a huge inconsistencies in the sentencing given being that courts in the north of England were tougher than the southern courts but there were also variations between courts. The lack of legal knowledge may be offset by the presence of a legally qualified clerk; this will not prevent inconsistencies in sentences, as they are not allowed to interfere with the magistrate decisions on sentencing. It has sometimes been said that the police are too prosecution biased believing the police too much. Which is believed to result in the low acquittal rates of the magistrate's court. Although there is comparatively fewer appeals in the magistrates courts and many are against sentence not against guilt. From this it can be argued that lay magistrates do a very good job despite being amateurs. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Law section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Law essays

  1. Lay Magistrates.

    Employers have to let people take time off for Magistrate business but they do not have to pay them. But Magistrates can claim lost earnings back but at a minimum wage. In 1998 the Lord Chancellor have new directions to the Advisory Committees in attempt to standardise the Lay Magistrates selection process.

  2. essay discussing the advantages and disadvanteges of lay magistrates

    That leaves us with involving the people. This could be done in a number of different ways, for example there could be polls on which laws should be brought in or which everyone must take part in, or make law a mandatory subject in schools along with Maths and English.

  1. Worlds Apart: Orientalism, Antifeminism, and Heresy in Chaucer's Man of Law's Tale

    as the dominant causes of Donegild's hostility to Custance. Tyranny in particular is an "unwomanly" trait to the Man of Law's way of thinking. Earlier in his narrative, he established that it stands opposed to humility, the Virgin Mary's preeminent virtue in the later Middle Ages, and perhaps Custance's dominant quality as well: "Humblesse hath slayn in [Custance] al tirannye" (II.165), the lawyer observes early in his tale.

  2. The Work of the Magistrates Court and Magistrates

    MCCs have no power to own or lease land or premises - all committee premises are owned or leased by the paying authority, which also provide 20% of MCC finding. The other 80% is the responsibility of the Lord Chancellor's department, subject to a cash limit.

  1. Justices of the Peace - Magistrates Courts

    Magistrates can be removed from office by the Lord Chancellor, and several are removed each year for misconduct or incompetence or (on occasion) for refusing to apply a law they think unfair or unreasonable. In 1997, for example, the Lord Chancellor instructed a Wiltshire JP not to sit again after

  2. Describe the selection, training, and role of lay magistrates.

    If any magistrate cannot show that they have achieved them, they will then be given extra training. If they still cannot achieve the competencies, then the matter is referred to the local Advisory Committee, who may recommend to the Lord Chancellor that the magistrate is removed from sitting.

  1. Contact orders

    against their will unless such separation is necessary for the best interests of the child; and that the child who is separated from one or both parents is entitled to maintain personal relations and direct contact with both parents on a regular basis, except when it is not in the best interests of the child7.

  2. The Law Relating to Negotiable Instruments

    Subsequently, the accounts became badly overdrawn, and the bank dishonored a number of their checks. The Kendalls brought suit against United California Bank, charging that wrongful dishonor of checks that the bank had originally agreed to accept as overdrafts damaged the Kendalls' personal reputation and their credit rating.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work