- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How successful was Peel's ministry of 1841-1846.
The first 200 words of this essay...
How successful was Peel's ministry of 1841-1846
Within Peel's second ministry there were many difficulties. This included pressure groups, such as the Anti Corn Law League and significant leaders such as O'Connell. There were also problems with the party such as the backbenchers. However, there were some success, which included the budgetary policy and social policy.
Reforms were Peel's main success in his second ministry, even though some led to divisions in his party. When Peel became Prime Minister he brought about many changes, such as the 'Condition of England' question, political reform and the repeal of the Corn Laws. However, Peel was elected to create no changes in the political system or the established rights of the Church of England. Hence, when he became Prime Minister he turned his back on this. Peel was trying to solve the problems created by the Whig government as well as balancing out what the party said. However, Peel was a man that moved with the times.
For example, Sir Robert Peel made a variety of reforms in Irish policies. This included religious reforms. This included the Maynooth Grant increase and the Charitable Banquet Act. The 1845 Maynooth Grant increased
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Politics (view all)
- The British Suffragette movement.
- There are many influences operating on parliament before and...
- Law making; influences on Parliament, and statute creation.
- The media plays an important role in society. What is its ro...
- Aims and Methods Used by the Suffragists
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.